Born a Crime, Book Study
Welcome to our book study! This book was chosen because it gives a wonderful insight into apartheid from someone who lived it, and yet has much humor and simple life lessons to boot. We hope you enjoy reading along with us.
The book is available in paperback, electronic, and audio versions. The audio version is so worth it – Trevor is the reader and he pronounces all the foreign words like the native language user he is. He knows several languages and dialects of the area. It is treat to hear him!
Course ObjectivesParticipants in this book study will:
- Describe the cultural impacts of apartheid in South African culture.
- Identify parallels between South African Black Culture and African American culture based on power, privilege, and oppression.
- Compare examples of power and privilege resulting from South African apartheid with parallel examples from the American system of segregation and systematic racism.
About the Presenter
Monica Parks, BEI III, is the Manger of the North Houston center of Sorenson VRS. She has been with Sorenson since 2006. During her 18 years in interpreting she has done a variety of community assignments, but has a special penchant for working with those who are DeafBlind. No stranger to K-12 either, she loves working with kids. She currently is the Vice President for Houston Black Deaf Advocates. She has served as the Fund Raising Chair of RID Region IV; the Legislative Chair of Texas Society of Interpreters with the Deaf; two terms as the TSID Conference Sponsorship and Advertisers Chair; Greater Houston Interpreters with the Deaf Treasurer; Montgomery County Registry of Interpreters with the Deaf Vice President; and formerly a commissioner for the Mayor’s Commission for People with Disabilities here in Houston. She has worked with DeafBlind people since 2005, adults and children, in a variety of capacities.
Terms and Conditions
Our webinars are self-paced and may be completed at your leisure. You will have 60 days after we receive your payment and registration to complete the required coursework. As such, we will not be offering refunds.
Request for reasonable accomodations must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the purchase of the webinar.
- TSID is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for Continuing Education Activities. This Professional Studies program is offered for 0.80 PPO CEUs at the “Some Content Knowledge Level.”
- BEI has approved this webinar for 0.80 Ethics CEUs
- Cost of this webinar is $80.00
Crabtree Interpreting Services fosters an environment of mutual respect and inclusion that is free from harassment, bias and discrimination based on race, color, religion (creed), hearing status, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Complete the form below to register for the webinar, then pay through the paypal. Once we receive your payment, we will send you the login information to access the webinar.